Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Healthy Homemade Granola Bars!!!




I'm so happy. I finally found a homemade granola bar recipe that my family (aka 5 yr old daughter) will eat. And they hold together. Yeeeehaaaaw! So, here it is if you want to give it a try. I love it because it is sweetened with maple syrup (and very little, actually) and you can change it up according to what people like or what you have on hand.

(I've adapted Ellie Krieger's original "Fruity, Nutty, Whole Grain Bars" from her book, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.)

This is easiest with a food processor. Otherwise you may have to use your hands to really mix it.

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/4 cup ground flax (or whole)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup spelt flour (or other flour)
1 cup combo of dried fruit and/or chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raw chopped almonds
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan or use parchment paper.
3. Place dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until everything is well blended.
4. Add maple syrup and eggs and pulse until everything is well blended.
5. Spread the thick batter evenly into the prepared pan and press with your hands (wet your hands slightly so it won't stick). Bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Cut bars into desired size and shape. I cut mine into 20 bars - they end up being about the size of a store bought bar.

Once they are completely cool, you can store these fruity, nutty, chewy, healthy granola bars in an airtight container for up to 3 days. ( I keep mine in the fridge for a lot longer.)


*Tips...

* I like to use 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips with the dried fruit
* I use currants instead of raisins because they are not so "juicy" and they are the size and colour of mini chocolate chips (I'm a sneaky mommy...)
* To make a nut free version for school snacks I substitute pumpkin seeds or hemp hearts for the nuts
* Substitute whatever you like! Go crazy! Add more fruit and cut out some of the seeds, or add more nuts instead of the fruit or whatever. This recipe is VERY versatile.
* I get my granola bar fixin's from the Bulk Barn.

11 comments:

  1. love it! I've been thinking about how the granola bars I buy contain golden syrup, corn & soy flour, too much sugar etc and wanting to try making my own - really want to try this recipe now=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum
    i love experimenting with granola bars...what is dry milk and where do you buy it?
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you I have been thinking about a healthy granola bar. I would like to ask what does the dried milk add to the mix? have you tried a substitute for dry milk or leave it out? bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Anonymous! Ok, so the dry milk, as far as I can tell, works with the eggs and maple syrup to form the "glue". I was thinking that I would try an unflavoured whey/protein powder to see if these could be turned into a "power bar" but I haven't done that yet. If you try this or you find anything else that works, make sure you let me know!

    Asahi Princess - dry milk is milk that has been dehydrated into a powder. I get mine at the Bulk Barn (cheaper!), but you can also buy it in packages where the evaporated milk is at the grocery store. You could also try looking in the Superstore bulk section... or any bulk section, for that matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! I may try to modify the recipe and make them vegan. If it's a success I'll let you know :)

    Hey... guess what??? You're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer - I was thinking of you when I posted this and thought it would be great if you could make these vegan!

    And, I KNOW! Weird! Truth be told, you've been my secret blog role-model (blog-model??). So thank you for inspiring me! And I may just have a few questions for you at some point, if that's ok...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your secret blog role-model... wow! I'm flattered! I would gladly answer any questions you may have.

    Oh... and Natalie, welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't wait to try these!!!
    I always need something portable/healthy when I am on the road...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made my first trip to bulk barn today (WOW love it!) and picked up some ingredients for these bars. i've been meaning to make them since you posted this recipe. I just whipped up a batch and they are SO So good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie - I know! Bulk Barn is so fun! Glad you like the bars :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound so good! I think I have all the ingredients too. I'm going to give them a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!